Kibow Therapeutics is advancing a platform of technologies to develop novel live biotherapeutics with wide ranging applications. We are on a mission to harness the gut microbiome to improve outcomes for persons living with chronic conditions, with an initial focus on kidney disease.
Harnessing Enteric Dialysis™ to Treat Chronic Kidney Disease
The human gut microbiome is a complex internal ecosystem that lives symbiotically within us and plays an essential role in our metabolism and health.
- Strong proof-of-concept in dietary supplements business focused on kidney health
- Leadership with 25+ years of relevant operating experience
- Phase 2 clinical study in CKD patients underway
- Potential approval of the first live biotherapeutic for CKD
- 33 patents issued, 8 pending
Gut Microbiome Dysbiosis
Chronic kidney disease can lead to alterations in the gut microbiome that are implicated in the loss of kidney function.
The gut microbiome is composed of a diverse population of bacteria that are both helpful and potentially harmful. CKD-related gut dysbiosis is characterized by the unwanted proliferation of bacterial species producing precursors of harmful uremic toxins (urea, uric acid, creatinine) that may enter systemic circulation due to a compromised gut barrier. High levels of circulating uremic toxins are associated with oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory responses that are implicated in the progression of CKD. Research suggests that gut microbiome disruption may also elevate cardiovascular disease risk.
Enteric Dialysis utilizes live biotherapeutics to metabolize uremic toxins and improve gut health in patients with CKD.
Kibow Therapeutics is advancing novel, non-invasive adjunctive therapies for persons with kidney disease. Our product candidates are designed to metabolize uremic toxins and improve gut health in persons with CKD. Enteric Dialysis is believed to confer benefits to CKD patients in several important ways:
- Promote Gut Health
- Metabolize Uremic Toxins
- Reduce Stress on Kidneys
Promote Gut Microbiome Health
Promote the growth of beneficial bacteria over harmful proteolytic and putrefactive bacteria with prebiotics and a proprietary consortium of probiotic microbial strains.
Metabolize Uremic Toxins
Reduce stress on kidneys by reversing the accumulation of uremic toxins by deploying microbial strains to metabolize urea, uric acid, creatinine, and other toxins, in the gut.
Our proprietary manufacturing processes deliver cGMP quality and consistency. Kibow Therapeutic products are made in the USA.
We benefit greatly from our discussions with the medical community and general public. We regularly attend scientific events and publish our research and findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Environmental Heat Stress or Toxins: Why Are We Waiting to Explore Treatment Options for CKDu?
- Differentiating Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors from Live Biotherapeutic Products (Probiotics) as Novel Therapeutic Intervention to Slow CKD Progression
- The Role of Dietary Fiber and Gut Microbiome Modulation in Progression of Chronic Kidney Disease
- Specific Probiotics for Chronic Kidney Disease: A Review
- Reality of “Enteric Dialysis” with Probiotics and Prebiotics to Delay the Need of Conventional Dialysis
- Probiotic Supplements Prevented Oxonic Acid Induced Hyperuricemia and Renal Damage
- Metabolic Profiling of a Chronic Kidney Disease Cohort Reveals Metabolic Phenotype More Likely to Benefit from a Probiotic
- Quality of Life in Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Patients Using a Synbiotic Dietary Supplement: a Survey.
- Concept and Potential of Enteric Dialysis – Treating the Cause Not the Symptoms in Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD)
- Randomized Controlled Trial of Strain-Specific Probiotic Formulation (Renadyl) in Dialysis Patients
- Review of Health Status and Level of Satisfaction of Customers with CKD Using Renadyl: Results of a Survey
- Dose Escalation, Safety, and Impact of a Strain-Specific Probiotic (Renadyl) on Stages III and IV Chronic Kidney Disease Patients
- Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics: Gut and Beyond
- The Effects of a Probiotic on Blood Urea Nitrogen and Creatinine Concentrations in Large Felids
- Pilot Study of Probiotic Dietary Supplementation for Promoting Healthy Kidney Function in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
- Can the Bowel Substitute for the Kidney in Advanced Renal Failure?
- Probiotic Dietary Supplementation in Patients with Stage 3 and 4 Chronic Kidney Disease: A 6-Month Pilot Scale Trial in Canada
- In Vitro and In Vivo Assessment of Intraintestinal Bacteriotherapy in Chronic Kidney Disease
- A Preliminary Clinical Evaluation of Kibow Biotics, a Probiotic Agent, on Feline Azotemia
- Probiotic Amelioration of Azotemia in 5/6th Nephrectomized Sprague-Dawley Rats
This section includes research authored by members of our team, partners, and others, and include data or discussions relevant to our development programs, the microbiome, and kidney health.
We Are Dedicated to Helping Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease
Kibow Therapeutics brings creative, resourceful, and well-connected life sciences industry veterans and 25 years of operating experience as a developer of live biotherapeutics across multiple domains, with a focus on kidney health.